Well we made it gosh we made it. It is freakin’ 2021. While I don’t know what lies ahead for all of us this year I do know that we all have a blank slate to work off of. What I am wishing and hoping for each and everyone of you is a healthy and joyful year ahead. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself and try to remember that at this point we are all doing the best we can. Not to sound extremely cliché but really we are all Rockstar’s on a WHOLE other level at this point.
To close out the end of last year I was off for almost two full weeks from work and let me tell you I have organized (I think) almost every nook and cranny in our house. As I was doing so I was thinking of a few tips as I went along that I use in our home that many of you already may implement but I thought it would still be helpful to walk you through my thought process that has worked for me if you are in the middle of purging and organizing yourself.
I am sure I am not alone in saying this but once a new year is upon us I go into super clean freak, purge everything and donate what we don’t need mode. Each year I learn more and more about being really intentional with what I bring into our home. It is so easy to collect things and not even realize how much we end up having. Anyone else? Also, I do know this is WAY easier said than done.
Here are some of the ORGANIZATIONAL METHODS I used while I cleaned some things out over this holiday break:
- Start small. Do NOT feel like you have to build Rome in a day. You can organize your spaces one piece at a time. When I am trying to focus on organizing different parts of our house I have learned to start small in one area that needs some TLC one day and then continue on the following day or days ahead so I do not burn out and get overwhelmed. I promise this is so helpful and you can see the progress you have made along the way as you move forward with the organizing which will motivate you to hit the finish line
- Edit the organizational bins you have each season. Each season when it comes time to decorate for the holiday upon us I notice I am pulling out less and less decorative items as I have significantly simplified what we have over the years. If you notice each year when you open your holiday storage bins that you haven’t used something inside of it for a long time then definitely donate or try to sell on FB Marketplace (I have had such great luck on here).
- If you haven’t used it in 3-6 months bye bye. I have been so guilty of this myself and the mentality of “oh I will use it one day and then we all know that day never comes. Bonus if you haven’t used the item that was given to you it could be either re-gifted or donated.
- Donate or sell what you aren’t using, I have religiously done this since we moved into our house and have never looked back. I mean truly I have used FB Marketplace so much that my neighbor once asked me ‘how my business or selling furniture” was going hahah. Even if you don’t get anywhere near what you purchased the item for you are at least getting something for it and it is going to someone that needs it.
Now that you have donated, organized, and gotten a good grasp on your home inventory it is time to REFRESH. What does this mean? I always get the itch to switch around my décor in our home when the New Year hits every January. The good news is you can re-purpose and use a lot of what you already have in your home without having to go on an entire shopping spree.
- Re-purpose what you already have in your house. This can be as simple as swapping out pillows, a throw blanket, or moving different furniture pieces around. I think a lot of times once the Christmas tree is taken down a space seems dull and needs a little zhoosing. What I did was swamp out our couch pillows and then moved around some of the accessories I had on the floating shelves. Doing that allows you to breathe some new life into your space and repurpose some items that you have around your house but in a new area.
- Simplify. Take away decor items or pillows that you don’t love on your couch anymore and swap them out for ones that flow better with your space. I know for me when I took our Christmas tree down I realized I wanted a little more color added to our couch to change it up. If you have been following along for a while now I tend to switch things around a lot in our home because I get bored of the same pillows after a while. Even just a few new pillows I am telling you can make a whole difference to your space.
- Add in some greenery. This not only brings color into your home but it is also so good for all of the oxygen that you breathe. Why not start the year with anew snake plant or pothos plant? They are my go to and SO easy to maintain!
I hope this in some ways inspires you to look around your home and space as you navigate through the new year. Let me know as always if you have any questions and we will talk soon.